Monday, January 19

Surrender Yoga: My Sadhna


When practicing conscious conception (ritual lovemaking for the purpose of conceiving a baby) I naturally assumed that I would do 'pregnancy yoga.' I even fantasized about leading a class full of new moms. I could see my big round belly growing out of a little yoga tank as I encouraged women to do yoga for two. But during my morning sickness, I tried a number of times to stretch my hips, breath and balance. But even after the nausea subsided, it would magically re-appear during my failed yoga sessions. I far preferred to sit on the couch and eat bon-bons. Sometimes I would drop in on a "pregnancy" yoga classes and when I couldn't get myself to do, I'd sit in the back and watch other women stretch...but my inspiration was simply not there.

And then I was struck with an intense and unexpected NEED to learn how to play the guitar. So I went to music classes and practiced every night, and I realized my was more of a musician than a yogi.

Baby Devin Echo is now two years old, and not only loves to play guitar, piano and drums (sometimes all at the same time) but he's not big on touching his toes. In my post-pardum depression, I haven't really had the call to resume my practice...until now.

I'm ready to Surrender and I've chosen to re-commit to "Sahaja" Yoga. I was first introduced to this sadhna eight years ago when backpacking through Europe, I stumbled on a postcard of Guru Nirmala Devi and had a unmistakable kundalini kriyas. I walked several miles to meet her local cult in the city of Bath, and was introduced into the simple, natural meditation practice which I added to my very classic south indian style hatha practice.

My initiation wasn't complete until my enlightenment master, Yoah transmitted his teachings during the the "exercise contemplation" portion of an enlightenment intensive. I will detail exactly what he taught me in my next blog article.

For now, I offer some basic passages to paint the big picture of Sahaja:

Sahaja Yoga is a unique method of meditation based on an awakening that can occur within each human being. Through this process an inner transformation takes place by which one becomes moral, united, integrated and balanced. One can actually feel the all pervading divine power as a cool breeze, as described in all religions and spiritual traditions of the world. Kundalini is the power of pure desire within us, a motherly and soothing spiritual energy which lies dormant at the base of the spine in the sacrum bone (the ancient civilizations knew that in this bone resides a sacred energy). "It is important for everyone to have that knowledge of the roots within ourselves. SahajaYoga allows the individual to become his own Spiritual Guide." -- Shri Mataji Nirmala Devi

Man is born with an instinct for naturalness. He has never forgotten the days of his primordial perfection, except insomuch as the memory became buried under the artificial superstructure of civilization and its artificial concepts. Sahaja means natural. It not only implies natural on physical and spiritual levels, but on the mystic level of the miraculous. It means that easy or natural of living without planning, designing, contriving, seeking, wanting, striving or intention. What is to come must come of itself.

It is the seed which falls in the ground, becomes seedling, sapling, and then a vast shady tree of wisdom and teachings. The tree grows according to Sahaja, natural and spontaneous in complete conformity with the Natural Law of the Universe. Nobody tells it what to do or how to grow.

Sahaja is that nature which, when established in oneself, bring the state of absolute freedom and peace.

It is when you are in your natural state, in the harmony of the Cosmos. It is the balanced reality between the pairs of opposites. As the Bhagavad Gita says, 'The person who has conquered the baser self, and has reached to the level of self-mastery: he is at peace, whether it be hot or cold, pleasure or pain, honoured or dishonoured.' Thus Sahaja expresses one who has reverted to his natural state, free from conditioning. It typifies that outlook which belongs to the natural, spontaneous and uninhibited man, free from innate or inherited defects.

--Shri Gurudev Mahendranth in The Pathless Path to Immortality

Kamala Devi
2009 Upcoming Events www.BlissCoach.com


Jan. 20th / Tues. 6:45-8:45pm Writing Group based on Tantric Principle
Jan. 21st / Wed. 6:45-8:45pm Tantra Talk & Poly Potluck
Feb. 7th / Sat. 4-6pm Monthly Tantra Goddess Gathering
Feb. 7th Advanced Play Party --Invite Only
Feb. 8th Sun. 1-6pm Tantra Secrets for Couples only!
Call: 858-272-2254 T-Th

No comments: