Saturday, July 16

How about SD Poly Pride in 2012?!

     Happy Pride Day San Diego!
I'm sipping my morning tea, and reflecting on the last 20 years worth of pride parades that I've participated in, many of which I've met new lovers, or at least 'gotten lucky.' The most memorable was when I directed the Honolulu pride festival in '98 and met my first dominatrix.
     I don't know if I'm going to make it to Balboa park today. I'm packing to go with my poly lovers on a European adventure that includes Zegg, a Free Love commune in Germany.  I have a ton of work to catch up on since the Sacred Slut Show closed.
     Several Tantra Theater players asked if we could do a float, performance or have some kind of presence at pride, which is a fabulous way to share our art while celebrating sexual diversity. However, since tantra theater has not been pursued or marginalized, I'm more inclined to put my time and energy towards liberation and legitimacy for polyamory.
      I've spend so much attention raising awareness for sacred prostitution recently, that one might forget polyamory is my primary cause.
      I am out and proud about my pod of over 9 poly lovers. And it's easy for me to take that for granted since I'm surrounded by over 200 poly people in San Diego who embrace and celebrate my alternative lifestyle. However, I am the exception. There are many triads and pods in San Diego who are hiding in shame, and many more across the globe who are facing daily discrimination and social exclusion. I become especially passionate about this cause when I see that Polyamory is part of my spiritual path, and that there are religions like Muslims and Mormons who's religious right to polygamy is being denied.    
      Today, polygamy is illegal in all fifty states since 1878, the U.S. Supreme Court decided Reynolds v. United States, which upheld the constitutionality of a law banning polygamy. It is estimated that there are 30,000 practitioners in the West. (a figure often thrown around by gay marriage activists.)
      In fact one of the big arguments against gay marriage, is if we let the gays get married, what's going to stop us from letting polygamy groups get married? Poly families are denied access to the same rights that same-sex couples are denied. Which is more than 1,138 federal rights, protections and responsibilities that automatically granted to married heterosexual couples. But you don't generally hear poly people complaining. In San Diego we're too busy at potlucks or pool parties. And in my case, I'm busy planning a vacation.
      Perhaps, my next poly vacation will be to New York on Oct. 7-9 for the 11th annual Poly Pride Festival. For the last eleven years PolyNYC has been hosting rallies, marches, and symposiums in central park. Perhaps the least we can do here in San Diego is have a Picnic! Next year I resolve to get a a Poly contingent together for pride. Perhaps tantra theater can do some bi and poly related sketches. And I'd love to start Poly Pride in San Diego the following year. (Hell, Pagans have their own little pride.) I know we can get a few hundred people together in the park to model new liberated paradigms for sharing more love.
      Here are some possible slogans or tag lines that were gathered by poly-activist lawyer Diana Adams, and Alan at www.polyinthemedia.blogspot.com:

POLYAMORY: We're all in this together.

Open minds. Open hearts. Open love.

The more love you give, the more you have to give.

Polyamory: Love makes the world go 'round, and 'round, and 'round...

There's nothing more beautiful than loving someone... except loving two people.

Polyamory: Free your loves.

Share the love – there's more where that came from!

P.S. Let me know if you'd like to join me and get involved in starting San Diego Poly Pride 2012! Write me at Kamala@blisscoach.com (I'll get back to you in the fall, after my European vacation!)

By Kamala Devi, Author of Don't Drink the Punch, Sacred Sexual Healing, Director of www.TantraTheater.TV and Sacred Sex and Open Relationship Coach www.BlissCoach.com

No comments: